If you wish to be published by us, check out the guidelines below...
Xarra Books welcomes manuscripts from African authors, about any subject under the sun. We prefer themes that are contemporary as well as those with solid historical content. We accept fiction as well as non-fiction. We also accept manuscripts in indigenous African languages, but we may be limited by the literary resources (editors, language experts) in some languages.
All submissions should contain:
- A synopsis of about 500 words describing the manuscript.
- A small paragraph should be added explaining why the author thinks their book will do well with Xarra Books.
- Please do not submit the entire manuscript.
- Also, don’t forget to include the author’s contact details. All material must be typed.
- No handwritten submissions will be considered.
- If you do not hear from us within 6 weeks of submitting, unfortunately your submission has been unsuccessful.
Upon successful evaluation of your manuscript, Xarra Books will enter into a contract with the author. The contract entails the cession of the publishing right to Xarra Books. The publisher undertakes to edit the manuscript in preparation for publication. The author is involved throughout the stages of editing and book design. It could take up to 6 months from the date of contract signature to the delivery of the final product on to the book shelves. The length of time depends on a number of factors, primary of which is the condition of the original manuscript. The publisher works with the author to ensure readability without loss of the original author style (the voice of the author). Delays could also be experienced due to production scheduling at the printers. The publisher also undertakes to market the published work, make it available to key retail outlets as well as online platforms. We work with a network of book lovers to ensure that the publication gets coverage on social media and other media channels. The author plays their part in the marketing of the publication by availing themselves for interviews, book fairs and other book related events.
Xarra Books is a member of the Publishing Association of South Africa (PASA)