- Xarra Books is committed to bringing your information tailored to your individual needs and recognises the importance of protecting the privacy of personally identifiable information collected about our users.
- You agree that Xarra Books may collect, collate, process and/or store individuals’ personal information (as this phrase is defined in the ECT Act) provided by users during the registration process referred to in clause 8 of the Website Terms and Conditions (“Collect”) for, amongst other things, the purposes of (i) verifying your identity, (ii) providing you with access to the Website Content, (ii) customer relations, and (iii) conducting research.
What personal information is collected?
- Xarra Books may collect personal information that may include (with limitation), name and e-mail address, information relating to race, gender, ethnic or social origin, age, well-being, disability, personal opinions, views or preferences.
When is your personal information collected?
- Personal information may be collected in several ways.
- Some personal information may be collected when you register on the Website, during the carrying out of demographic research, or when you participate in any promotions, competitions or surveys held on the Website.
- Upon acknowledgement that promotions and competitions on the Website may be sponsored by third parties or may be co-sponsored by Xarra Books together with third parties. You agree that some or all your personal information may be shared with such third party.
How your personal information is used?
- The primary goal in collecting your personal information is to provide you with a better online experience, which may include, interactive communications, online shopping and other services.
- Your personal information may be used to:
- deliver to you more relevant and targeted content and advertisements, such as banner advertisements;
- conduct research related to demographics, interests and online habits;
- compile profiles for statistical purposes. You agree that Xarra Books may trade with those profiles and statistical data. While Xarra Books will attempt to ensure that the profiles or statistical data cannot be linked to you, Xarra Books does not guarantee that third parties may not be able to link such profiles and statistical data to you. You hereby indemnify Xarra Books
- against any loss, liability, expense, claim, penalty or damage suffered by you, whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising from or in relation to any third party being able to link such profiles and statistical data to you.
With whom is your information shared?
- While Xarra Books will attempt not to disclose any of your personal information to third parties, except when we have your permission or in the legitimate business interests of Xarra Books, Xarra Books does not guarantee that your personal information will not be shared with third parties without your permission.
- Your personal information may also be shared under the following circumstances:
- Where the law requires that Xarra Books disclose your personal information;
- To monitor web traffic: web servers serving the Website automatically collect information about pages you visit. This information is used for internal review, to tailor information to individual visitors and for traffic audits. This information (as well as information from third-party market researchers), on an aggregated, anonymous basis, is provided to advertisers advertising on the Website. Should you provide personal information online as part of an online advertising promotion or in order to access a third-party service, such information may be provided directly to the advertiser or the third party concerned;
- Promotions: many promotions offer opportunities to request additional information from sponsors or third parties. When you request more information about a particular promotion, your e-mail address may be shared with the sponsor of that promotion;
- Online shopping: if you make a purchase from an online store or merchant, the information obtained during your visit to the store (including tracking information, cookies, credit card number and contact information) is provided to the merchants. This is to enable transactions to take place, for no other purposes;
- Marketing purposes: if you expressly consent to us using your personal information for marketing purposes, you agree that Xarra Books may, from time to time, share your personal information with any of its affiliates, subsidiaries, partners, or third-party providers for the purposes of sending you marketing-related announcements related to the products, goods and/or services made available by Xarra Books on the Website. You may at any time opt out of receiving such marketing-relating announcements;
- Third parties: online merchants providing services in association with Xarra Books have separate privacy and data collection practices. You agree that Xarra Books has no responsibility or liability for third party policies.
- Editorial purposes: Your personal information may be used by Xarra Books for editorial purposes. For example, this may include information you provide during an online survey conducted by our editors.
- Legal: Xarra Books may also disclose your personal information in special cases, where Xarra Books has reason to believe that such disclosure is necessary to identify, contact or bring legal action against a party who may be breaching the Terms and Conditions or may be causing injury to or interference with (either intentionally or unintentionally) Xarra Books’ rights or property, other users, or anyone else that could be harmed by such activities; and
- For statistics and advertisement purposes: Xarra Books may perform statistical analyses in order to measure interest in the various areas of the Website (for product development purposes) and to inform advertisers as to how many consumers have seen or “clicked” on their advertising banners. Xarra Books also uses demographic information to allow advertising banners on the Website to be targeted, in aggregate.
What are cookies and how are they used?
- Xarra Books may place a “cookie” on your browser to store and sometimes track information about you.
Use of IP Address
- An IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to a computer whenever it is connected to the Internet. Xarra Books also logs IP addresses, or the location of computers on the internet. Xarra Books collects IP addresses for the purposes of system administration, to report aggregate information to our advertisers, and to audit the use of the Website. Xarra Books does not ordinarily link IP addresses to personal information, which means that your session may remain anonymous. However, Xarra Books cannot guarantee that this will always be the case. For example, it may be necessary to identify a particular user when it is necessary to enforce compliance with the Terms and Conditions or to protect our service Website, customers or other interests.
- The importance of security for all personal information associated with you is of the utmost concern to us. While Xarra Books exercises great care in providing secure transmission of your personal information, no data transmission over the internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Xarra Books cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to, or from Xarra Books’ Website.
- Xarra Books may periodically send e-mails to you about services, products or promotions offered by Xarra Books and its advertisers to the e-mail address provided by you.